Thank you for visiting this page to find out what VLC media player is all about. Please Note: this page is Under Construction and might change in the near future.
VideoLAN, VLC, VLC media player and x264 are trademarks internationally registered by the VideoLAN non-profit organization. VideoLAN software is licensed under various open-source licenses: use and distribution are defined by each software license. Design by Made By Argon. Some icons are licensed under the CC BY-SA 3.0+. Feb 26, 2018 Creating a Stream for Network Using VLC To begin with open an instance of VLC media player and choose Advanced Open File from under the Media tab. You may choose Open Capture Device in case you.
VLC media player (or VLC for short) is a FREE and Open Source Software Media Player. Features that make VLC the preferred media player for a lot of people are its excellent support for various Audio and Video codecs, the fact that it's cross platform and the open way of development.
This page describes the basic use of VLC. See VLC Play HowTo for a user guide and VLC Streaming HowTo for advanced streaming features.
- 2The main interface
To use VLC you need:
- A computer with Internet access and an internet (web) browser (to download VLC).
What is a web browser?
- Media (audio or video) files or Disc (optical drive required to play discs).
- Audio output hardware (speakers, headphones) for audio playback.
- Knowledge about working with computer files and folders.
Working with files and folders (MSFT Windows)
How to open documents and folders (macOS)
Files, folders & search (Ubuntu)
The main interface
The following picture shows the names of the main controls in the VLC interface:
Note: This picture corresponds to the Windows XP version. In other systems, VLC might look slightly different.
The menu bar at the top contains commands that control VLC.
The track slider is on top of the control buttons. It shows the progress of playing of the media file. You can drag the track slider left to rewind or right to forward the track being played.
Two timers at the left and right ends of the track slider show the current playing position (left) and the total time (right) of the current track.
Note: When a media file is streamed (live), the position indicator of the track slider does not move because the total duration of the streaming is not known until it finishes.
The buttons below the slider control the playback.
From left to right they are:
- Previous media in the playlist.
- Stop playback.
- Next media in the playlist.
- Toggle fullscreen (video only).
- Show extended settings: Audio effects, Video effects and Synchronization.
- Show playlist.
- Repeat: toggles among loop all, loop one, no loop (default).
- Random: Plays the files in the current playlist in a random order.
The volume control is located in the bottom right corner of the window. The small speaker icon is a button that mutes () or un-mutes () the sound. The triangle to the right is a slider that shows the current playback volume. Clicking this slider modifies the volume. The playback volume is also displayed as a percentage number on top of this slider.
Windows notification area (system tray) icon
When you start VLC media player, the application appears on the screen and a small icon appears in the notification area (system tray). Clicking once this icon will hide VLC, and clicking it again will show it again. Hiding VLC does not close it, it continues to run in the background. Right clicking this icon brings up a menu with the following controls:
- Hide/Show VLC media player.
- Play/Pause/Stop playback.
- Switch to Previous/Next track.
- Speed control.
- Increase/Decrease volume.
- Open media.
- Installing VLC
- Basics of VLC
- starting VLC
Double click the VLC icon on the desktop or from the start menu: select Programs, select VideoLAN and select VLC media player.
- starting VLC
- Playing media files stored in the computer
- Queuing files
You can queue files by selecting multiple files at a time.
- Queuing files
- Playing media from your optical reader (CD, DVD, Blu-Ray)
Can I download YouTube videos with VLC?
Of course, you can.
Name is often misleading, so judge not by name.
So is VLC Media Player.
VLC Media Player is not only a media player, but it can be also a YouTube video downloader through its hidden features.
You might be wondering: How do I download YouTube videos with VLC?
That is pretty easy.
Vlc Video For Macfasrtrek Laptop
Follow the step-by-step guide below and use VLC to download YouTube streaming videos effortlessly.
Part 1. How to Download YouTube Videos in VLC
Though VLC is not a professional video downloader to save YouTube videos, it can help you rip YouTube videos and export them on the computer via its streaming and playing functions. Here are 2 methods of how to make it.
Rip YouTube Videos in VIC by Streaming
1. Open VLC on your computer, go to Media at the top toolbar and select Open Network Stream.
2. Copy and paste the YouTube video URL into the bar under Network Protocol.
3. Click on the down-arrow associated with the Play button and select Stream.
4. Then the Source information will be shown, just click Next.
5. In the Destination Setup window, make sure that the New destination is selected as File. Then click Add.
Vlc Video For Macfasrtrek Windows 10
6. In the pop-up window, you should click Browse next to Filename to locate where you save the downloaded YouTube video and give the file name. After that, click Next to continue.
7. In the Transcoding Options window, select the exported YouTube video format by clicking the drop-down option of Profile. As usual, click Next.
8. Here, you just need to click Stream and the downloading process will start.
You can check the downloading progress and seconds timer to know if the video has been downloaded successfully. After that, you can check the location you set for storing the YouTube downloads to open and play it.
Export YouTube Movies in VLC by Playing
All the YouTube streaming videos that can be played in VLC will be available to download.
Let’s dive right in.
1. Launch VLC on your computer and click Media at the top to select Open Network Stream.
2018ap calculus. 2. Copy and paste the YouTube video URL into the bar under Network Protocol.
3. Click on the down-arrow associated with the Play button to make sure Play selected.
4. Once the YouTube video starts playing, go to Tools at the toolbar, and select Codec Information.
5. Copy the full URL (It is usually long) next to Location, and paste it in the address bar via your browser.
6. Press Ctrl + S (Or right-click the mouse to select Save video as) to give the video name and choose a location to save it.
Part 2. VLC Not Downloading YouTube Videos? Here Are Solutions
The above ways are the common ways that can help you get YouTube streaming videos downloaded on your computer.
There’s only one caveat: Most videos on YouTube are copyrighted, but VLC can only download those videos with a free license.
As a result, many of you may find VLC is not working to download YouTube videos and pops up the error message:VLC is unable to open the MRL (xxxxxxxx). Check the log for details.
There are no official solutions to this problem from VLC official help guide.
You can save yourself the frustration by using other YouTube video downloader tools.
Vidmore Screen Recorder is the best YouTube grabber software, which can save any YouTube videos for offline viewing later. Compared with those YouTube downloaders, the recording way can keep any YouTube video you are playing in your browser, while those YouTube video downloaders may fail to access all the videos.
- Rip video from YouTube, Twitch, Netflix, etc.
- Grab audio from YouTube separately.
- Export YouTube video as MP4, MP3, MOV, etc.
- Save live YouTube video for offline playback.
Let’s streamline the process.
Step 1: Install YouTube recorder on a computer
Download the YouTube video grabber from the above download buttons. It supports Windows and Mac computer so that you can download YouTube videos on Mac with ease.
Run this software and select Video Recorder.
Step 2: Capture a YouTube video
Firstly, you should select the recording area. Just play the YouTube video that you want to save and click Full or Custom to confirm the video region that you want to save.
Then turn on System Sound and disable Microphone to keep the YouTube audio only and avoid any noise around you.
To output YouTube video as a format you need, just click the gear icon to open Preferences, where you can make the settings of output format, quality, mouse clicks, hotkeys, etc.
Step 3: Record and save YouTube video
Vlc Video For Macfasrtrek Tv
When everything is done, just click the red REC button to begin recording the YouTube video you are playing.
The floating bar while recording enables you to edit the recording file.
To stop a video recording, just click the stop button and it will direct you to the preview window, where you can use the clip feature optionally to cut down YouTube video and click Save to export it.
Though VLC is not mighty as Vidmore Screen Recorder, it can record YouTube videos. (VLC not recording?)
Part 3. FAQs of VLC Downloading YouTube Videos
How to download YouTube videos in VLC on Android?
Such hidden features as recording, converting, and downloading are only available for Windows, Mac, and Linux users. As for Android users, VLC can only work as a media player and cannot download videos.
How to Convert YouTube to MP3 in VLC?
Similar to downloading YouTube videos, you just need to select MP3 as the output format from the drop-down option of Profile in Part 1. If you want to convert downloaded YouTube videos to MP3, check it here.
Can VLC download subtitles?
Yes. While you watch a video in VLC without subtitle, you can click the Subtitle option and select the Download subtitles option. Then VLC will start searching for the closed captions file online and add the captions to the currently playing movie.
There are many secret features in VLC Media Player and downloading streaming videos is one of them. This page shows the step-by-step guide to save YouTube videos with VLC. However, due to the YouTube copyright protection, many videos may fail to download from YouTube. No worry and this page also recommends a YouTube recorder, Vidmore Screen Recorder, to help you save videos from any websites easily.
Did you find this tutorial helpful? Do not hesitate to share it, or drop your feedback in the comments section below if you have any problem.